Baby Back Ribs

Barbeque is one of the most controversial subjects in the outdoor cooking world, mostly because of the countless regional variations. Your opinion of barbeque probably depends on where you live or how they did it back where you came from.

What I love most about this controversy, are the traditions that have been passed down through generations and the commitment to secret family recipes.

Baby Back Ribs

If you are from certain States in the South, you have probably been in at least one fight over what should and shouldn’t be in a rub and/or sauce.

Your opinion is The Only Right Way.

This is what I love most about traveling… the passion that comes with heredity.

I’ll be honest, I have yet to find a variation I don’t like. Perhaps it has to do with being born and raised in the melting pot state of Florida, but I enjoy all of the different methods.

OR! Maybe it’s because I haven’t eaten enough to know better.

Baby Back Ribs

Yes, that must be it! So, I will continue to eat my way through life until I have a firm opinion on what part of the world has the best barbeque.

Oh, the work.

Below is the method I use for fall off the bone baby back ribs. You won’t find any secret family recipes here, just a Trial and Error of what has worked for me so far.

Sam’s Club seems to have the best price per pound on baby back ribs, and I have never been disappointed with the quality. They come three racks per vacuum sealed pack.

Baby Back Ribs

Wash and dry the racks and then remove the tough membrane:

Baby Back Ribs

A wise man once taught me to grab it with a paper towel. This makes it so much easier to hang onto while you pull.

Baby Back Ribs

The dry rub I use is called Kansas City Rib Rub. You can find the recipe here.

Baby Back Ribs

Combine the Brown sugar, Paprika, Black pepper, Salt, Chili powder, Garlic powder, Onion powder, and a little bit of Cayenne:

Baby Back Ribs

Cut the racks in half and put each half on their own sheet of plastic wrap:

Baby Back Ribs

Even though this takes over your entire kitchen counter space, I’ve found it to be the easiest and cleanest method.

Put some of the dry rub on each half:

Baby Back Ribs

Now, get your hands dirty and rub it in:

Baby Back Ribs

You can wear gloves if you want to I guess but where is the fun in that?

Wrap them up and then toss them into the refrigerator until you are ready for them.

Baby Back Ribs

All of this can be done ahead of time because if you are like me, you need plenty of time to get the dry rub shrapnel removed from the kitchen floor and ceiling before your friends and family come over for Rib Dinner.

Get your cooker stabilized at 250F, and set it up for indirect cooking. I am using the Big Green Egg and the plate setter to create a barrier in-between the fire and the ribs:

Big Green Egg

Leave them to smoke for 3 hours with the lid closed.

Baby Back Ribs

I am using a rib rack, but you can lay them directly on the grate. If you do, flip them every 45 minutes or so.

After 3 hours, the meat is pulling from the bone and already starting to fall apart:

Baby Back Ribs

It’s time to sauce and cover the ribs. Put them in a deep pan:

Baby Back Ribs

Then, brush the ribs with a little bit of your sauce of choice. I use this Kansas City Rib Sauce:

Baby Back Ribs

Now, cover the pan with foil, close the lid of the cooker, and cook for another 2 hours at 250F.

Baby Back Ribs

They will most certainly fall from the bone and you just might have to snag a bite or two before bringing them inside:

Shh. I ate that chunk.

Serve the Baby Back Ribs with extra sauce and Homemade Mac ‘n Cheese:

Baby Back Ribs

You will be loved by your family and friends forever.

Or, at least until they all get hungry again. Enjoy!

You might also like:

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Baby Back Ribs

1. jo says:

Oh gosh … I’m totally weak in the knees just by looking at the photos. I love ribs, more so if they are bbq.

2. Grazor says:

Thats some good stuff and great technique. I follow pretty much the same approach, though my saucing is placed on the ribs and foiled for about only half hour, once they have been cooked to fall-off the bone goodness. Nice cook! Congrats.

3. Thanks, Grazor! Any rub/sauce suggestions? I love trying new concoctions!

4. Grazor says:

I find if you use a mix of Mexican chili powder as well as the ground Ancho chiles that gives it that lovely earthiness. Additionally when I am making my BBQ sauce, you can use the chipotles in adobe sauces for a simliar type of impact, not too much as it overpowers and I am looking generally for that subtle hint rather than something overpowering.

Here is a link to one of my cooks last year. http://snipurl.com/10rs9w [picasaweb_google_ca]

By the way I have shared your site and this particular instructional of yours, with a lot of first time EGGHEADZ here in the Toronto area as well as in Montreal!

5. Bruce M says:

Your technique and pictures were extremely helpful. The detailed pictures make a huge difference in understanding the process for a new low and slow BBQ beginner like me. Thanks for all of the tips!

6. You’re welcome, Bruce! Thank you for stopping by!
    What cooker do you use?

7. scot says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe, it was awesome. They turned out great. Had Bush’s bean and coleslaw with it. Guests like it. Thanks again

8. scot says:

Giving this a shot today, ribs going on at 1pm, supper with friends @ 6 or so. Thanks for sharing, they look great. Lip Smacking Meal :)

9. scot says:

Hey Kristi, you don’t use a drip pan at all??? No burnt drippings flavour?

10. I don’t use a drip pan but I started covering my platesetter with foil. How are the ribs looking?

11. scot says:

If I am looking, I ain’t cooking:) LOL. Temptation is building though,,, they have only been on for 11/2 hours. Sauce is made, coffee cup is full, (substituting for adult beverages soon) Life is good. Going to do a D.O. full of baked beans to go along with it, along with fresh corn on the cob, my wife is making fresh bread and a peach pie is cooling off right now. Going to be a great meal.
    Enjoy your evening.
    Scot

12. Frank says:

Your recipe sounds great. I plan on trying it this weekend. I have a BGE and hopefully mine will turn out as great as your pictures look. One question, what wood chips do you use to smoke the ribs? I was thinking apple maple. Thanks, Frank

13. Hi Frank: That sounds good… Hickory/Apple would be good, too!
    Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

14. Frank says:

Made the ribs and the Mac and Cheese, both your recipes. They turned out awesome!!!! My family loved both of them. My neighbor is coming over later and I know she will be eating the leftovers. Thanks again, take care, Frank

15. Lindalu says:

How much wood do you put in the BGE and how often do you add( it if more than once)? I hane a XL BGE and I find it a bit intimidating! Once I went inside after opening the top vent and when I came back out I opened it and it was soo hot it burned my hand pretty bad… Learned that the hard way!

16. Hi Lindalu: I am sorry to hear that — I, too, learned the hard way about flashbacks. I singed my eyebrows, lashes, and arm hair. Ouch! Since then I am sure to “burp” the egg before opening the lid.
    When I am doing a longer cook – like ribs – I fill the cooker up with lump. Whatever doesn’t burn can be used on your next cook(s).