Not interested in the step-by-step? Skip to the recipe.
Yes, another chicken wing recipe.
But like I said before, we eat chicken wings every week and we like to have a few different sauces in our rotation. And this recipe will definitely be in the rotation.
This is what you’ll need: Tequila, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, honey, garlic, limes, lemon, and cilantro.
And chicken wings, of course.
I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and chili powder and then cooked them on my Big Green Egg, raised direct.
That means I use fire bricks to raise the grate (raised), and nothing is between the fire and the wings (direct).
I cook them at 325F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour with the thick skin side up, and then I flip them and cook for another 15 minutes with the thick skin side down.
You can read more about that process HERE.
How you cook the wings is completely up to you, it’s the sauce we are here to talk about.
Shoot, you don’t even have to put the sauce on wings, it will be outstanding on breast, thighs, and leg quarters. Pork, too!
To start, zest the lemon and set aside for later.
I used my small Ninja processor for the sauce, but you can also just finely chop the peppers and garlic with a knife.
I’m lazy sometimes.
Chipotle peppers and garlic:
Lime and lemon juice:
Add the sauce to a pan:
And simmer until the sauce thickens some, about 10-20 minutes.
Once your wings are cooked:
Toss them with the sauce:
Add the lemon zest and chopped cilantro:
And you are ready to serve!
You can’t get much simpler than that.
These Tequila Chipotle Chicken Wings have the perfect combination of heat, sweet, smoke, and tang.
- 3-4 pounds chicken wings, cooked
- Cilantro, to taste
- ½ cup tequila (light or dark)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup lime/lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 chipotle peppers
- 5 TBS adobo sauce
- Salt, pepper and chili powder, to taste
- Season the chicken wings with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Big Green Egg set-up: 325F, raised direct.
- Cook them at 325F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour with the thick skin side up.
- Flip them and cook for another 15 minutes with the thick skin side down.
- Zest the lemon and set aside for later.
- Chop the cilantro and set aside for later.
- Combine the tequila, honey, lime/lemon juice, garlic, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce in a small food processor and mix until well combined.
- If you don't have a processor, finely chop the peppers and garlic with a knife.
- Add the sauce to a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens some, about 10-20 minutes.
- Toss the sauce with the cooked chicken wings.
- Add the lemon zest and chopped cilantro.