These Mango Spice Chicken Wings have three glorious layers of flavor:
A robust spice rub, a fruity glaze, and the smokiness from the Big Green Egg.
The spice rub is simple: salt, cinnamon, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper:
This will be enough for 30-34 wingettes (3.5-4 pounds).
I cook chicken wings on a Big Green Egg, raised direct.
That means I use fire bricks to raise the grate (raised), and nothing is between the fire and the wings (direct).
I cook them at 325F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour with the thick skin side up, and then I flip them and cook for another 15 minutes or so with the thick skin side down.
You can read more about that process HERE.
There are many ways to cook great wings on the Big Green Egg, so find the method that works best for you and go with it.
But it’s really the spice rub and glaze we are here to talk about, so how you cook the wings is completely up to you.
These chicken wings are so incredibly flavorful that no one will guess the glaze is made up of just three ingredients.
Braswell’s Mellow Mango Chutney, Balsamic Vinegar, and minced garlic.
Start by sautéing the minced garlic in about half a tablespoon on butter (or oil).
Note: I have been known to skip that step but only when I know that I won’t have to be anywhere near people the following day.
Pungent garlic breath has a way of chasing people away.
Put the garlic, mango chutney, and balsamic vinegar into a food processor:
And pulse until the glaze is smooth.
Once the wings are cooked, place them into a large bowl:
And then pour the tangy fruity glaze all over the wings.
Toss well and make sure every nook and cranny is covered with the tangy fruity glaze.
We can’t get enough of these Mango Spice Chicken Wings and I’m sure they’ll be a hit at your house, too.
Sometimes I serve them with blue cheese and sometimes I just eat them without.
They certainly don’t need anything.
Recipe adapted from Rick Roger’s Kingsford Complete Grilling Cookbook.
- 3½ to 4 pounds chicken wings
- 1½ teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more for extra spiciness)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- One 8-ounce jar Braswell's Mellow Mango Chutney
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ TBS butter
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, and garlic powder together.
- Season the chicken wings with the spice mixture.
- Refrigerate while you set up your cooker.
- If you are cooking on a Big Green Egg, set your cooker up for raised direct at 325F.
- Cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour with the thick skin side up.
- Flip and cook for another 15 minutes or so with the thick skin side down.
- While the chicken wings cook, sauté the minced garlic in ½ tablespoon of butter.
- Put the garlic, mango chutney, and balsamic vinegar into a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Once the wings are cooked, place them into a large bowl and toss with the glaze.