Not interested in the step-by-step? Skip to the recipe.
Last night I made Jay’s Shrimp Burgers with Wasabi Aioli.
Jay is a fellow EggHead (Big Green Egg enthusiast) and we were lucky enough to eat his Shrimp Burgers at the Sunshine State Eggfest in March 2013.
You can find his recipe HERE.
I used 1 pound of Key West Pink Shrimp.
After you peel and devein them:
Put half of the shrimp in a food processor.
I used the chopper attachment that came with my Viking Hand Blender.
Blend the shrimp, add an egg, and blend some more.
Coarsely chop the remaining shrimp and put them into a bowl with the processed shrimp.
Next add the cilantro (or parsley), panko, salt and pepper.
And all this time you thought I didn’t own a measuring cup.
Gently combine everything together:
Now form the mixture into patties:
Put the burgers in the refrigerator for at least one hour to help them firm up.
For the wasabi aioli you’ll need an egg, a lemon, garlic, salt, soy sauce, olive oil, and wasabi.
I started the wasabi aioli the same way I do when I make tarragon aioli for crab cakes.
Put an egg, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a blender or food processor — I use an immersion hand blender.
Blend everything together and slowly add olive oil as you blend.
S l o w l y D r i z z l e.
Blend until you get a mayonnaise like consistency.
Add the wasabi:
The soy sauce:
And set aside until you’re ready to eat.
Side Note: Jay starts with a cup of mayonnaise so his way is a lot simpler and faster.
If you’re cooking on a Big Green Egg, you’ll want to stabilize the egg at 350F and cook with a raised grid.
You can also cook them inside on a cast iron grill pan or skillet.
Cook about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
Hawaiian rolls work really well with these because the sweetness contrasts nicely with wasabi aioli.
Spread some of the aioli on both sides of the bun and add the shrimp burger.
Ready . . .
Set . . .
These would be perfect for a party since everything can be prepped ahead of time.
John and I had our own little party and ate all six of them.
Thank you, Jay! Shrimp Burgers will be happening a lot around here.
Click HERE for Jay’s recipe.
- 1 lb Shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Hawaiian rolls
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Cilantro
- ½ Cup Panko
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Lemon
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic
- Soy Sauce
- Olive oil
- Wasabi, to taste
- Put half of the shrimp in a food processor and blend.
- Add 1 egg and blend some more.
- Coarsely chop the remaining shrimp and put them into a bowl with the processed shrimp.
- Add the cilantro, panko, and salt and pepper.
- Gently combine everything together.
- Form the mixture into patties and refrigerate for at least one hour to help them firm up.
- WASABI AIOLI
- Put 1 egg, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a blender or food processor — I use an immersion hand blender.
- Blend everything together and slowly add olive oil as you blend.
- Blend until you get a mayonnaise like consistency.
- Add the wasabi and soy sauce.
- Blend well and refrigerate until needed.
- Stabilize your cooker at 350F and cook with a raised grid.
- You can also cook them inside on a cast iron grill pan or skillet.
- Cook about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve the shrimp burgers with the wasabi aioli and Hawaiian Rolls.