Not interested in the step-by-step? Skip to the recipe.
This is my no muss, no fuss, easy peasy way of cooking salmon on the Big Green Egg.
Start with good quality salmon and figure about 1/2 pound per person.
I say “good quality” because I think there are a lot of people out there who think they hate salmon, but really, they hate bad salmon.
And so do I.
Here’s the rule: Every fish you buy should smell like the ocean, not fishy.
Wash and dry the salmon.
Salt and pepper the flesh side and then oil the skin and season with salt and pepper.
Be sure to oil the skin very well since we are putting the salmon directly on the grate.
I used coconut oil but most any oil will work since we aren’t going to be cooking this at a high heat.
My salmon was colder than the coconut oil and it solidified on the skin.
Once your cooker is at 350F, carefully oil the hot grate and lay the salmon skin side down.
Cook the salmon raised direct with the skin side down for the entire cook.
I made dill butter with leftover dill last month and kept it in the freezer for a moment just like this.
Simply mix softened butter with dill (or other herbs) and then roll in plastic wrap and freeze.
Then just slice off as much as you want.
You can also use fresh dill and butter or the herb of your choice or nothing at all.
It certainly doesn’t need it.
After 7 minutes I checked on the salmon and added another pat of dill butter.
I couldn’t help myself.
After 15 minutes the salmon had a beautiful color and looked about done to me.
You do not want to overcook salmon.
If you like to test the internal temperature for doneness, I recommend pulling the salmon from the cooker at 125-130F.
I simply checked the salmon for flakiness with my spatula:
The salmon should flake along the muscle fibers and be translucent in the center.
Piece of cake right?
- Good quality salmon, ½ pound per person
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Dill Butter, optional
- Set your Big Green Egg for a raised direct cook.
- Preheat to 350F.
- In the meantime, wash and dry the salmon.
- Season the flesh side with salt and pepper.
- Liberally oil the skin side and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully oil the grate of the Big Green Egg and lay the salmon skin side down.
- Top with dill butter or fresh dill and butter or your herb of choice or nothing at all.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is 125-130F.
- The salmon should flake along the muscle fibers and be translucent in the center.