Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs

One of the guys over on the Big Green Egg Forum mentioned bacon wrapped chicken thighs yesterday, so I decided to give it a try.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

I stuffed them with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

First, you’ll want to wash & dry the boneless, skinless chicken thighs and remove any excess fat.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

I really, really, really hate touching raw chicken.

Lay them with the inside up like this.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

Crumble goat cheese on all of the thighs:

Add rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes:

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

And then top with a basil leaf.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

Roll up the chicken thighs and secure with skewers, toothpicks, or cooking string.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

If you’re grilling these you’ll want to soak the wooden skewers/toothpicks in water prior to cooking to keep them from burning.

I seasoned the stuffed thighs with Krazy Jane on one side and Tony’s Creole seasoning on the other.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

Salt & pepper will work too, just use whatever you have on-hand.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

Wrap bacon around the chicken making sure to cover the openings so the stuffing doesn’t sneak out.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

You could also wrap them in bacon before securing with toothpicks if that’s easier.

I set up my Big Green Egg with a raised grid:

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

That just means I increased the amount of space between the fire and chicken.

I cooked them for about 45 minutes at 350F.

Turning often.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

You could also bake them in a 350F oven for 45 minutes.

Look at these!

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

They were the perfect combination of smokey, salty, and sweet.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs

Bacon wrapped stuffed chicken thighs are super easy and the stuffing options are endless.

Give it a try!

You might also like:

Tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs

1. Joseph Jaskolka says:

Wow, they look delicious . Using fire brick to raise your cooking grate
    Is a smart idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Chris says:

They look fantastic. Your choice of stuffing items is right up my alley. Tweeted this post.

3. Somehow I missed this post. Looks amazing. I’ve done a similar cook, varying the ingredients on the stuffing, but I didn’t do the bacon. Its got to be better with the bacon. Thanks for giving me another idea of something to cook.

4. OK, finally getting around to doing these tonight. Not sure what I am going to stuff them with. Gonna have to check the fridge when I get home. Can’t wait.

5. ma'am says:

YUM and DONE!

Didn’t have a grill, so just used the oven…great idea!

6. LongboardR says:

So I tried your recipe but switched out with chicken breast pounded out. They were a hit. I appreciated the motivation from your site to try. I posted some pic on green egg site. Thanks!

7. Lori says:

Made this for my hubby’s bday dinner over the weekend…BIG hit with everyone! So good, and pretty easy as well. Many thanks for the great recipe!

8. I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for letting me know, Lori. :)

9. Allan says:

Hello,

They look great!
    A close friend of mine is not too fond of goat cheese. Are there any viable cheese alternatives that can make do?

10. Thank you, Allan. I bet Feta, Fontina, or Provolone would be good, too! I hope you love it! :D

11. Cynthia L. says:

I loved them even before I saw they were wrapped in bacon!

12. :D I hope you love them. Cynthia!

13. Ruby says:

Very nice, I must try this. Looks delicious

14. Michael says:

I’m trying this recipe tonight. I’ll be stuffing them with freshly grated parmesan cheese and rosemary. Just not sure how much rosemary though.

15. Jennifer says:

Hi! This recipe looks fabulous! If I wanted to make a sauce to go along with this, what should I use for it?

16. Hi Jennifer! The last time I made these I drizzled honey on them when they came off the grill. It was simple and perfect.

17. Ruby Dee says:

These look wonderful. I think I’ll give them a try. Thanks for the recipe! :-)

18. mary says:

how far in advance can you prepare before you cook

19. Hi Mary! Sorry for my late reply. I don’t see any reason why you can’t prepare this a day before you cook. :)