Space Girl Organics is a delivery service in my area with farm fresh organic produce.
I made Fennel, Zucchini, and Pea Risotto with some of the vegetables I received in this week’s delivery.
Risotto isn’t as tough as some people think it is, it just takes a little patience and a couple of need-tos.
One thing you need to do is warm the broth before you use it. Just keep it in a pan over low heat on your stove top.
I love this Thai Coconut Curry broth but feel free to use any broth. If you use vegetable stock, this risotto will make an amazing vegetarian dish.
Thinly slice the fennel bulb:
And save some of the fennel fronds for later.
Sauté the fennel in a little butter or olive oil.
While that cooks, chop a shallot:
And toss those into the pan with the fennel.
Once the fennel and shallot are soft, add 1 cup of Arborio rice.
Stir the rice around in the pan and let it soak-up some of that fennel/shallot/butter goodness.
After about 5 minutes, add a glass of dry white wine.
Stir until the rice soaks up the wine.
This is where another need-to comes in. Add a cup of warm broth to the rice:
And stir until all of the stock is absorbed into the rice.
Once all of the stock is absorbed you can add another cup of broth… but only then.
Repeat this process, one cup at a time, until you’ve used all of the stock. You’ll need 32 ounces of broth for 1 cup of Arborio rice.
Take your time, your patience will be rewarded.
In the meantime, sauté the zucchini:
And take the peas out of their pods.
Add the sautéed zucchini to the rice when you add the last cup of stock.
Once the last cup of stock is absorbed, add the peas:
And a big dollop of mascarpone cheese.
Actually, I added 2 dollops.
Look how creamy this is!
Right before you serve, add the chopped fennel fronds from earlier.
Serve this risotto with your favorite beef, chicken, pork, or seafood dish.
Or, all by itself like we did the other night.
I loved this combination of vegetables.
This was the first time I added fresh peas to risotto, but it certainly won’t be my last.
Thank you, Space Girl Organics!
- 32 oz Broth (chicken, vegetable, etc)
- 1 Fennel Bulb, thinly sliced
- Fennel Fronds, chopped
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 1 T Butter
- 1 C Arborio Rice
- 1 C Dry White Wine
- 1 Zucchini
- Spring Peas
- 1-2 Dollops of Mascarpone Cheese.
- Heat the broth and keep warm over low heat.
- Sauté the fennel in a little butter or olive oil.
- Once soft, add the shallot.
- Sauté for another minutes and add the Arborio Rice.
- Stir the rice around in the pan and let it soak-up some of that fennel/shallot/butter flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir until the rice soaks up most of the wine.
- Add a cup of the warm broth to the rice and whisk until most of the broth has been absorbed by the rice.
- Add another cup of warm broth and whisk until most of the broth has been absorbed by the rice.
- Repeat this process, one cup at a time, until you’ve used all of the stock. You’ll need 32 ounces of broth for 1 cup of Arborio rice.
- In the meantime, sauté the zucchini in some butter or olive oil.
- Take the peas out of their pods.
- Add the sautéed zucchini to the rice when you add the last cup of stock and stir.
- Once the last cup of stock is absorbed, add the peas.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and combine.
- Add the chopped fennel fronds, combine, and serve.