The other night I made a Fennel and Leek Slaw that went very well with hogfish.
What is hogfish?
It is a gorgeous, white, flakey and delicious tasting fish native to the Atlantic Ocean.
But you don’t have to make the slaw with hogfish. It will go very well with any fish, scallops, shrimp, chicken, or pork.
Like most things I cook, this recipe is ridiculously easy.
All you need is fennel, leek, lemon, and olive oil.
Thinly slice the fennel bulb:
And the white part of the leek:
I used a mandoline for both.
Chop a couple of tablespoons of fennel fronds:
And add the fennel, leek, and fronds to a big bowl.
Zest the lemon into the bowl.
And then add the juice from the lemon.
Now here’s a little trick for squeezing the lemon juice:
After zesting, turn the microplane over and squeeze the lemon juice through the microplane:
It will catch the seeds!
Next, drizzle in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
Add just enough to wet the fennel and leek — you don’t want to drown them.
Lastly, sprinkle in some salt and pepper, to taste.
Mix everything together and set aside for at least an hour.
Stir occasionally — you want all of the flavors to marry.
And that is all there is to it!
That’s the slaw . . . easy-peasy, right!?!
For the hogfish: I seasoned it with salt and pepper and baked it in the oven at 400F for about 10 minutes.
Remember, any fish will work for this — or scallops or shrimp or chicken, etc.
Once cooked, spoon some of the slaw on to your plate and top it with the fish.
It’s that simple.
Little effort and loads of flavor.
My kind of meal!
- 1 Fennel
- 1 Leek
- 1 Lemon
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Thinly slice the fennel bulb.
- Thinly slice the white part of the leek.
- Chop a couple of tablespoons of fennel fronds.
- Add the fennel, leek, and fronds to a big bowl.
- Zest the lemon into the bowl.
- Add the juice from the lemon.
- Drizzle in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Add just enough to wet the fennel and leek — you don’t want to drown them.
- Sprinkle in some salt and pepper, to taste.
- Mix everything together and set aside for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.